Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy New Year ~ Happy New Blog !




It's a new year and a new blog!  I admire watercolor paintings and oil paintings and I am hoping to really learn how to paint this year.  I've been trying on and off for 20 years!

 

So I am going to need you to help me see what techniques need improvement or see a technique that would have worked better on one of my paintings or journal pages.

 

I guess what I am saying is that I need a mentor to help guide me.  I know I like bright colors, but feel the need to translate the colors I see in a photo onto my watercolor paper or canvas.  I think it is so much more interesting to use different colors.   The other thing I know about my painting style is that I am much too controlling.  I want to be loose and free with color and shapes and let my audience "finish" the painting, but I am not quite sure how to do that.

 

I've read books by Tony Couch and they are amazing!  My favorite is “Watercolor”  You Can Do It!!  I "get" what he says about principles and values, I just don't get how to put it all in my paintings!  Anyone else out there understand what I mean??!!  I have so many watercolor technique books and have taken painting classes, but I feel like I am not finding my own style.  How do you develop your own style?  Does anyone know?

 

The other thing I want to figure out in watercolor painting is where to start?  Start with mid values and work from there?  And how can I create a value sketch without having superb drawing skills?  All these things to think about!!!

 

The first page in my moleskine journal is something I've never painted before: very basic shapes staying in the lines and letters.  I have painted landscapes and still life’s previously, but decided to just create shapes for the first page of the new year.

 

If you have suggestions or know of any challenges for beginners, email or comment below!

Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment